Some tips to help you avoid being a victim of Identity Theft:
- Review your statements each month to make sure there aren't charges you didn't authorize. When done, shred your statements or even better - sign up for eStatements!
- Keep your account numbers, cards and pin numbers secure. Memorize your pin number and don't write it down. You can now pick your own pin on a Northwoods Credit Union debit card!
- Review your credit report here at the credit union once a year or through www.annualcreditreport.com.
- Shred all of your confidential information. If you don't have a shredder, we hold an annual SHRED DAY each spring where you can bring all your paperwork to our office and watch it being shred on the spot. Call us for dates and times.
- Choose passwords that would be hard for someone to guess.
- Always sign the backs of your credit and debit cards.
What to do if you've already been hit by Identity Theft:
- Keep track of every phone call you make and who you've notified.
- Call us at 879-4181 so we can flag your account as a potential Identity Theft victim.
Place a fraud alert on your credit report by calling the following Credit Reporting Agencies:
- Equifax 1-800-525-6285
- Experian 1-888-397-3742
- Trans Union 1-800-680-7289
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission by calling 1-877-ID-THEFT or log on to their website at www.ftc.gov/idtheft
- File a report with your local police department